1. No styling here for this project – just a straightforward oil sketch of a street market in Abruzzo to demonstrate the stages. Starting with a warm colour where the buildings and a street market will go.
2. Next I blocked in where the cool greys go
3. Adding an indication of where some greenery and market stalls will go
4. Starting to think about darker tones and picking out some features
5. Using white to help with highlights and the picture’s focal point
6. The finished sketch. Not too much detail but enough to work up into a final painting. 30 x 30cm on a box canvas